LABOR DAY SAFETY TIPS
It’s Labor Day weekend and a lot of students take time to travel for the holiday. While planning your leave be sure to take precautions to keep your house safe while you are gone.
Here are a few tips to help keep your house safe while you are away:
• Have a trustworthy friend or family member watch your home while you are away.
• Double check that all your doors and windows are locked.
• Leave your porch lights, back door lights on.
• Close blinds and curtains.
• Make sure your vehicles are locked and do not leave any valuables in the vehicle, especially if the vehicle is parked outside.
• Don’t share details of your leave on social media sites. Turn off location services on your mobile devices, if you use any of the mobile apps. Wait to share photos until you return. Pictures taken with a GPS-ready camera or phone may have your location embedded in it. Even if you trust your friends, many times their friends and friends of friends can all see your information also.
• Be prepared for the worst. Sometimes, even with all the preparation, a break-in can still happen. It’s a good idea to have an inventory of all your important items: list all serial numbers and take pictures for insurance purposes. It never hurts to be prepared.
• If you are staying home, please be vigilant and report any suspicious activity. If you suspect someone is trying to break into a house, call 911.
Safe Travels & Happy Labor Day!